1. In a big pot put bones (parboiled bones) and 2 tablespoons of salt. Fill enough water to submerge the bones in.
2. Bring to a boil then simmer on low fire with cover. As low as possible for about 5-7 hrs. Best to do overnight.
3. Remove the bones. Add the pho spice bag. Hang it on the side of the pot. Add shallots and ginger.
4. Simmer for another 30 minutes. Cooking the spice too long does nothing more to the broth than making it darker. We don’t want that dark broth.
5. Remove the spice bag and add more water to the broth. As much water as needed. Bring to a boil. Then lower it. Taste and adjust. You can leave it to simmer until ready to eat. Make sure it’s at the lowest simmer possible.