Who wants to join me for BUN RIEU / CRAB and TOMATOES VERMICELLI NOODLE SOUP? With an extra side of rieu. Cause that’s how I rolls. SIMPLE BUT DELICIOUS. Credit IG nuocmamafoods, FB Vietnamese Soul Food
1. In a bowl mix crabs paste (rieu), eggs, ground pork, and pepper. Mix very well. Store in the refrigerator to set.
2. In a stock pot add water and pre-boil the ribs. Bring to a boil then simmer on low for 25-30 minutes. If you’re using dried shrimp add it at the same time as the ribs.
3. In the pan with the annatto oil. Add garlic, tomatoes and onion. Sautés for 3-4 minutes on medium. Add ketchup. When ribs are done simmering. Add in the sautés vegetables and tofu. Bring to a boil. Then low to simmer. Add all the rest of the ingredients. Taste and adjust.
4. While the broth is simmering. Scoop in the rieu (meat mixture) in a ball using a big spoon. Slightly lay them on top of the vegetables and tofu. This will help keep them together and slowly cook without falling apart. Do 6-8 scoops at a time only. After 2-3 minutes. Use the spoon to slightly push the meatballs down to submerge to the bottom. Continue with the next set of rieu until done.
5. Once meatballs are cooked they will float at the top. Simmering for another 4-5 minutes then shut off.