Khao piek sen translates to wet rice noodle in Lao. This traditional Lao noodle dish is a chicken noodle soup that is the heart and comfort food for many Lao people including myself. The only three ingredients you will need to make these noodles are: tapioca flour, rice flour, and sometimes glutinous rice flour.
1. In a large bowl, add the rice flour and tapioca flour then whisk.
2. Add boiling hot water to the flour mixture and quickly mix.
3. The mixture will look dry but keep mixing with the spoon until it is warm enough to touch with your hands.
4. Knead with the hands and press all the flours together. The dough should be firm. If the dough is crumbly, add a tbsp of hot water and knead until it becomes a ball.
5. Sprinkle area with rice flour then roll out the dough and dust with extra rice flour.
6. Cut off the rough edges then cut in half and half again.
7. Stack layers on top of each other then cut into desired noodle consistency. Dust with extra rice flour. Wrap in plastic wrap if you’re not cooking it right away.
8. Cook noodles for about 2-3 minutes in boiling water.