The authentic French potatoes purée is not about cooking and mashing potatoes. In fact, the most important to prepare the best purée de pommes de terre is to be generous when adding butter and milk. Here is the recipe, simple and delicious!
1. Cook the potatoes with their skin on in a pot full of salted boiling water.
2. Once the potatoes are cooked (when you can prick them easily with a fork), peel them and then put them back into the pot over low heat (without the cooking water).
3. Take a potato crusher and mash them, add the butter while continuing to mash the potatoes. Once the butter is incorporated, add the milk. The puree must be very liquid (more than it will be at the end of cooking), do not hesitate to add a little milk if necessary.
4. Simmer the mash over low heat for a good half an hour to thicken the puree. Stir very regularly to avoid boiling it and to prevent the bottom from burning.
5. Finally, turn off the heat and let it cool. Sprinkle with grated nutmeg just before serving.
Tip: You can prepare the puree a bit in advance and reheat it before serving, it's even better!