Chicken Yassa (Senegalese Chicken) is authentic dish in Senegal. I used to live there and ate a lot of this menu. If you want to try a new thing, here is the recipe from my nanny in Senegal. :)
1. Cut each chicken thigh in half to be able to stuff them inside.
2. Prepare the stuffing: pound garlic with ginger, parsley, green onion, salt and chili.
3. Put the stuffing inside the chicken thighs and squeeze one slice of lime over them.
4. Add a bit of oil in the pan, when it's hot, add all stuffed chicken thighs. Cover the pan and cook on low heat, let it simmer until it's cooked.
5. Prepare the sauce:
- Pound garlic with black pepper, dried chili and green bell pepper
- Then add diced yellow onions and roughly pound.
- Season with soy sauce, oyster sauce and a Knorr cube.
6. Use a big pan (pot), pour the oil and stir fry the ingredients you pounded above until it becomes yellow. Add water, thym and bay leaves. Let it simmer until the onion is soft and clear color.
7. Transfer the cooked chicken to the sauce pan (pot). Add mustard and squeeze the remaining lime juice, stir together on slow heat. When the sauce has reduced, taste and serve with steamed rice. Zap!