These sweet treats are made of sticky rice and coconut! They are the perfect dessert after a Lao meal. I go into depth on how to use banana leaves and how to do banana leaf origami.
1. Cut the banana leaves into strips along the grain then remove the hard edges. Cut half into large circles and the other half into smaller circles.
2. Clean banana leaves in warm water then dry.
3. Put over the flame to soften.
1. In a large skillet, add shredded coconut and stir for 1-2 min until heated.
2. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, and salt then mix.
3. Heat over medium heat and stir until all the sugar is melted and well incorporated for about 6-8 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
5. Lightly oil hands and then make balls with the filling.
1. In a large bowl, add glutinous rice flour, regular rice flour, white sugar, then whisk.
2. Add the coconut milk and water.
3. Knead the dough until everything is well incorporated.
Putting it together
1. Grab a tbsp of the dough and flatten it. Add about a tbsp of the filling and seal it.
2. Place the small banana leaf circle on top of the large one and spray the banana leaf with oil.
3. Fold the banana leaf into a cone shape and place the ball inside and fold close.
4. Steam for 20 minutes.