This menu is very traditional from north of Laos because this type of Bamboo (Nor Lun) has been found in the forest in north and it has unique taste. Anyway, you can replaced by any bamboo shoot you like.
1. First, peel the bamboo shoot and cook in the boiling water for 30mns ( If you use another kind of bamboo, you should boil and rinse few times until there is no bitter taste). After that bring it to rinse with ice cold water and place in the bowl.
2. Use a mortar and pestle to pound: chili, garlic, read shallot, lemongrass, ginger, salt, and MSG.
3. Heat the oil in the pan until medium hot, then add spices you pounded to the pan and stir fried until it becomes light brown, add bamboo and mushroom. Following with fermented fish sauce (Padaek) and fish sauce. ( Add water 1/2 small bowl if the pan is too dry)
4. Reduce to low heat and cover the lid and let it simmer about 10 mns ( during this time, you can also add a bit of water if needed)
5. When the sauce reduced, adjust the taste and add green onion, coriander, and culantro. Turn off the heat and serve. ZAP!